01. Louvre is the most visited museum, with over 9 million visitors annually. It is placed on the right bank of the river Seine and is one of the largest museums in the world. It has 35000 exhibited art objects (of 380000). Museum is located in Louvre Palace and was opened in 1682.
02. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, largest museum in the United States, is located in New York City, with more than 6 million visitors a year. It was founded in 1870; it has seventeen separate curatorial departments and a rich permanent collection from classical antiquity to modern art.
03. British Museum is located in London and has over five million visitors annually. It was opened to the public on 15 January 1759 and had, among other items, the world's largest and most comprehensive collection of Egyptian antiquities.
04. Tate Modern, a modern art gallery, is located in London, in the former Bankside Power Station, in the Bankside area of Central London. Yearly it has over 5.3 million visitors. Established in 2000, it has a vast collection of modern and contemporary art from 1900 until today.
05. National Gallery is an art gallery in London on Trafalgar Square. It has over 5 million visitors a year. It was founded in 1824 with 38 paintings that the British government bought from the heirs of John Julius Angerstein, an insurance broker and patron of the arts. Now it houses over 2,300 paintings.
06. Musée National d'Art Moderne is very close to several visitors to the National Gallery. It is the largest gallery of modern art in Europe. It is located in Centre Georges Pompidou, a complex in the Beaubourg area of the 4th arrondissement of Paris. Museum was opened in 1947, and it has 70,000 works of art.
07. Vatican Museums are museums that are in Vatican City within city borders. It has 5 million visitors in a year. They were established in 1506, and It has a vast collection that the Roman Catholic Church built up throughout the centuries, including some of the greatest works of the Renaissance.
08. National Palace Museum is an art museum in Taipei City, Taiwan, Republic of China. It has over 4.3 million visitors a year and is one of the greatest collections in the world, with a permanent collection of 693,507 pieces of ancient Chinese artifacts and artworks. It was founded in 1925.
09. National Gallery of Art is a national art museum in Washington, D.C. It was established in 1937 by United States Congress when it received the gift of financier, public servant, and art collector Andrew W. Mellon. It has 4.2 million visitors in a year. It has a very rich collection, including the only painting by Leonardo da Vinci in the Americas.
10. Musée d'Orsay is a Paris museum on Seine's left bank. Established in 1986, it is located in the former Gare d'Orsay - railway station built in 1900. Its collection consists mainly of French art made between 1848 and 1915.